Tuesday, March 13 2012: Day One & Wednesday, March 14 2012: Day Two
Since WBM 2011 took place the aviation sector has progressed in leaps and bounds, with many major airlines doing successful test flights on biofuels and some now using a blend of biofuel and kerosene on regular flight routes. This session will bring together the entire value chain to discuss certification, commercialisation and scaling up existing bio jet fuel usage, fuel incentives and production among many other key areas for this industry.
Chairman: Darrin Morgan, Director of Sustainable Aviation Fuels Strategy, Boeing
Tuesday, March 13 2012: Day One
09.00 The Tipping Point: Progress & Perspectives on Commercialisation
- Global updates and success stories on routes that are now flying with biofuel blends
- Industrialise the production of bio-fuels to make it more affordable for commercial purposes
- What key challenges lay ahead for the industry pushing the use of biofuels out even further?
Director of Sustainable Aviation Fuels Strategy,
Glenn Johnston, Vice President of Regulatory Affairs, Gevo
Robert Sturtz, Managing Director of Strategic Sourcing, United Airlines
Kati Ihamaki, Vice President, Sustainable Development, Finnair
Moderator: Jeroen Kruijd, Principal Manager, Sustainability & Climate Change, PWC
10.30 Networking Refreshment Break
11.00 Policy and Sustainability
- Get the latest updates in sustainability aviation fuel policies and standards
- What are the steps required to support the development of sustainable aviation fuels?
- Managing conflict between feedstock transparency to prove sustainability and proprietary sourcing relationships
- Sustainable pathways for bio aviation fuels: practical tool for comparison of sustainability schemes
Mark Watson, Head of Environmental Affairs, Cathay Pacific Airlines
Maarten van Dijk, Vice President, Business Development and Sustainability, SkyNRG
Kevin Ogorzalek, Program Officer, World Wild Life Fund
Barbara Bramble, Senior Advisor, International Climate and Energy Program, National Wildlife Federation
Christine Moser, Head of Sustainability Certification & Marketing, Platform for Sustainable Aviation Fuels, Leuphana University
Thijs Komen, Head of Tactical Planning, Air Traffic Management, KLM
12.30 Networking Lunch Break hosted by Iogen
14.00 Aviation Fuel Production & Approval
- How can new energy crops be harvested effectively to supply the aviation market?
- Hear from agronomists and experts on which feedstocks are leading the way regionally
- Which production technologies are available to increase yield & improve cost effectiveness?
- Understand which conversion processes are suitable for developing aviation fuel
Kaisa Hietala, Vice President of Market Development,
Jim Woodger, Sales Manager, UOP, a Honeywell Company
Kevin R. Weiss, Chief Executive Officer, Byogy Renewables, Inc
Mark Rumizen, Aviation Fuel Specialist, US Federal Aviation Administration
15.30 Networking Refreshment Break
16.00 Fuel Incentives and Pricing
- A perspective on bridging the gap between production economics and policy – is it preferable and feasible to have a harmonised global system?
- Global pricing mechanisms re: incentives and flying in and out of various jurisdictions – how will this work between US RFS system and EU RED systems for example
- Can differing country incentives counteract or complement each other?
Managing Director of Strategic Sourcing,
Thomas Roetger, Assistant Director, IATA
Alejandro Rios Galvan, Director, Fuel Services, Aeropuertos y Servicios Auxiliares (ASA)
Patrick Mazza, Research Director, Climate Solutions
Claire Curry, Bioenergy Pathways Analyst, Bloomberg New Energy Finance
Wednesday, March 14 2012: Day Two
Chairman: Darrin Morgan, Director of Sustainable Aviation Fuels Strategy,
14.30 Military Aviation Biofuels
- An update on what the military sector has achieved with the use of biofuels
- US Government efforts to facilitate deployment: federal initiatives
- What the commercial sector can take away from the military’s efforts
Thomas W. Hicks, Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Navy for Energy,
John Plaza, CEO & Founder, Imperium Renewables
16.00 Networking Refreshment Break hosted by AlterNRG
EU Biofuels FlightPath - Benchmarking of Technologies
Jonathon Counsell, Head of Environment,
Xavier Dommange, Strategic Product Development, EADS
Kyriakos Maniatis, Principal Administrator - Directorate General for Energy, European Commission